About the opportunity
As Contentful’s first dedicated Product and Privacy Counsel, you will advise and partner with our engineering, product, security, sales, marketing, HR, and other teams throughout the organization to manage legal risk and compliance with global privacy laws and regulations. On the privacy side, you will help develop and effectuate strategies and initiatives that focus on building a scalable privacy program. On the product side, you’ll have a broad range of responsibilities providing legal guidance on product development initiatives. You will partner with our innovators to develop new technologies while managing legal risk and ensuring regulatory compliance.
What to expect?
- Provide full product life-cycle counseling for a variety of global products. Ensure product compliance with applicable U.S. and international laws and regulations, IP, and open source.
- Provide a wide range of subject matter expertise and resource on privacy, security, and data protection
- Support the product and engineering teams in applying privacy by design principles, developing impact assessments, and creating and rolling out privacy collateral
- Support security incident response team in responding to potential data breaches
- Draft external privacy notices and disclosures, and manage/update internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance with global privacy laws
- Work with the commercial legal team globally to support and facilitate negotiation of product-specific terms with customers and suppliers, including security, data privacy, and compliance.
- Respond to customer and employee questions about their individual data rights and Contentful’s processing activities
- Provide advice to our strategic partnerships, integrations, and product teams during the development lifecycle to minimize legal risks, ensure compliance with applicable laws, and advance business goals
- Guide open source use and help evolve and manage the open source compliance program
What you need to be successful?
- 5-8 years relevant experience advising a multinational SaaS company on global products and data privacy regulation and laws
- Deep experience with global privacy regulations, which include GDPR, the ePrivacy Directive, and CCPA/CPRA and desire to learn upcoming regulations
- Foundational knowledge of key security programs such as ISO and SOC2
- Experience interfacing with a Data Protection Officer
- CIPP certification
- A level of comfort in influencing and educating an organization on the importance of privacy and implementation of privacy initiatives, and capable of gaining respect of senior leaders in the organization
- Experience working with product teams launching SAAS products.
- Experience working with and leading cross-functional teams.
- Experience advising clients on risk mitigation across technology product platforms.
- Excellent judgment, analytical rigor, clear communication, and business pragmatism.
- Comfort and experience with technology solutions that help you scale your practice.
- Solution-oriented approach in working with the business.
- An ability to multi-task, which includes handling a variety of legal issues simultaneously
What's in it for you?
- Join an ambitious tech company reshaping the way people build digital products.
- We set you up for success, equipping you with the latest and greatest hardware
- Enjoy a full range of events, including workshops, Contentful-hosted meetups, guest speakers and team activities. Meet your team members from across the globe at our annual offsite.
- Get fit! We offer a variety of health and fitness classes and a discount on Urban Sports Club.
- Use your personal education budget to improve your skills and grow in your career. Join a free German class or one of our many internal learning initiatives!
- Plus, Contentful socks! Oh yeah!
Who are we?
Contentful powers digital experiences for 28% of the Fortune 500 companies and thousands of global brands. Our content platform unifies content in a single hub, structures it for use in any digital channel and integrates seamlessly with hundreds of tools through open APIs. It lets developers and content creators work in parallel, increasing team efficiency and happiness. Companies such as Spotify, Urban Outfitters, ARD Broadcaster, The British Museum, Xoom and Lenovo use Contentful to build their mobile and web products, voice controlled apps and more.
We’re growing rapidly and are backed by over $150 million in funding from top-tier venture capital firms like Sapphire Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, General Catalyst and Benchmark.
More than 350 people from 70 nations contribute their energy and creativity to Contentful, working from hubs in Berlin, San Francisco and distributed locations around the world.
“Everyone is welcome here” — it's a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical [dis]ability or length of time spent unemployed. We look forward to your application!
By clicking “Apply for this job,” I acknowledge that I have read the “Contentful’s Candidate Privacy Notice”, and hereby acknowledge and accept the collection, processing, use, and storage of my personal data as described therein.