About the opportunity
Contentful is looking for a key tax contributor with a demonstrated track record in tax issues and compliance relating to both income and transaction taxes. The Tax team will lead all aspects of identifying, evaluating, and ensuring that Contenful is compliant with their international income and indirect tax obligations in order to minimize the overall tax risk for the company.
What to expect?
As a Head of Tax EMEA, you will:
- Prepare non-US income tax provisions annually and oversee non-US corporate income tax compliance as well as review and oversee the filing of corporate national and local income tax returns prepared by our outside tax advisors
- Identify countries imposing a Digital Services Tax and a Diverted Profits Tax and comply with these taxes with assistance of US tax team. Examine and document non-US income tax laws regarding net operating losses and other relevant matters and monitor developments in non-US income tax laws
- Direct payment of tax installments. Ensure proper tax accounting for differences between local books and US GAAP books, prepare income tax account roll forwards, and assist with income tax audits.
- Ensure the timely filing and payment of the VAT tax returns for European operations with full ownership of the compliance filing process, reconciliation of the monthly VAT tax liabilities and ensure VAT tax compliance payments are made in a timely manner.
- Establish close working relationship with Head of Tax
What you need to be successful?
- 7-10 years of income tax and VAT tax experience in Europe. Experience in APAC and working with US companies helpful
- Ability to collaborate with the Accounting Teams located in the US, Germany and elsewhere as well as functioning to a high capacity in a distributed tax team
- Ability and willingness to roll up your sleeves, take responsibility and manage project with the ability to manage tax matters for multiple international entities, including foundational work as we continue to expand our geographic footprint
- Strong accounting, Excel and Access skills
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience with emphasis on accounting
- Experience with VAT compliance, reconciliations and VAT tax automation systems such as Avalara, Vertex, OneSource, etc.
- Proficient English both written and spoken, understanding of German would be valuable
What's in it for you?
- Join an ambitious tech company reshaping the way people build digital products.
- Full-time employees receive Stock Options for the opportunity to share ownership and the success of our company
- We value Work-Life balance and You Time! A generous combination of paid time off, sick days and paid holidays
- Comprehensive health care package (health, vision, dental insurance, life and disability insurance) and a retirement savings plan
- Use your personal education budget to improve your skills and grow in your career. Join a free German class or one of our many internal learning initiatives!
- Enjoy a full range of virtual events, including workshops, guest speakers, and fun team activities, supporting learning and networking exchange beyond the usual work duties
- Our Berlin based employees: Get fit! We offer an Urban Sports Club discount and virtual morning fitness class to help you reach your fitness goals.
- Share and navigate the excitement of a new workplace with your CFF (Contentful First Friend)
- Plus, Contentful socks! And other amazing swag as part of company events. Oh yeah!
Who are we?
Contentful is the leading content platform that powers digital experiences for over 30% of the Fortune 500 companies and thousands of global brands. Our platform unifies content in a single hub, structures it for use in any digital channel and integrates seamlessly with hundreds of tools through open APIs. It lets developers and content creators work in parallel, increasing team efficiency and happiness. Companies such as Shopify, Staples, Atlasssian, Electronic Arts, Chanel, Roche, Vodafone use Contentful to build their mobile and web products, voice controlled apps and more.
We’re growing rapidly and we have secured over $330 million in funding from top-tier partners such as Tiger Global, Sapphire Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, General Catalyst and Benchmark.
More than 650 people from 70 nations contribute their energy and creativity to Contentful, working from hubs in Berlin, San Francisco, Denver and distributed around the world.
Everyone is welcome here!
“Everyone is welcome here” is a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical [dis]ability, or length of time spent unemployed. We invite you to apply and join us!
If you need reasonable accommodations at any point during the application or interview process, please let your recruiting coordinator know.
By clicking “Apply for this job,” I acknowledge that I have read the “Contentful’s Candidate Privacy Notice”, and hereby consent to the collection, processing, use, and storage of my personal information as described therein.