About the opportunity
Contentful is an innovative, high-growth, customer-focused company in a large and growing market. We are seeking Legal Counsel- Privacy/IP to join our growing international Legal team. Reporting to the Senior Global Legal Counsel - Data Protection, Product and IP, you will advise and partner with our engineering, IT, product, security, sales, marketing, HR, and other teams throughout the organization to manage legal risk and compliance with global privacy laws and regulations. On the privacy side, you will help develop and effectuate strategies and initiatives that focus on building a scalable privacy program. On the IP side, you’ll have a broad range of responsibilities providing IP guidance on marketing and product initiatives.
What to expect?
- Work with the commercial legal team to support and facilitate negotiation of data protection contracts, data protection or IP related clauses.
- Conduct due diligence on existing or new vendors (through the completion of data privacy assessments) and reviewing outputs.
- Partner with the procurement and information security teams to develop and incorporate privacy controls, including due diligence assessments.
- Respond to customer and employee questions about their individual data rights and Contentful’s processing activities.
- Draft and/or regularly update existing and new Contentful privacy policies, such as customer and employee-facing privacy notices and other internal group policies owned by the data privacy team.
- Support the Data team with the review and implementation of the Contentful Record Retention policy.
- Provide advice and guidance on tactical and strategic data privacy matters to various business stakeholders including marketing and people ops.
- Provide data protection training to the business across all business locations.
- Keep a watching brief on upcoming data laws and regulations and its impact including risk and opportunities for the business.
- Participate in the protection and defense strategy of Contentful's intangible assets (domain names, trademarks, copyright) and partner the operational teams on those questions.
What you need to be successful?
- 3-5 years relevant experience advising a multinational SaaS company on data privacy and IP regulation and laws.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams.
- Deep experience with global privacy regulations, which include GDPR, the ePrivacy Directive, and CCPA/CPRA and desire to learn upcoming regulations
- Foundational knowledge of key security programs such as ISO and SOC2
- CIPP certification appreciated
- Experience in trademark registration process and management highly appreciated.
- Experience in advising on open source software.
- A level of comfort in influencing and educating an organization on the importance of privacy and implementation of privacy initiatives, and capable of gaining respect of senior leaders in the organization.
- Experience advising clients on risk mitigation across technology product platforms.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work cohesively in a collaborative environment
- Excellent judgment, analytical rigor, clear communication, and business pragmatism.
- Solution-oriented approach in working with the business.
- An ability to multitask, which includes handling a variety of legal issues simultaneously
What's in it for you?
- Join an ambitious tech company reshaping the way people build digital product
- Full-time employees receive Stock Options for the opportunity to share in the success of our company
- Comprehensive health/dental/vision care package covering 100% of monthly premiums for employees
- We value Work-Life balance and You Time! A generous combination of a flexible time off policy, volunteer time off and paid holidays
- 16 weeks of paid parental leave (after 6 months of employment)
- Use your personal education budget to improve your skills and grow in your career.
- Enjoy a full range of virtual events, including workshops, guest speakers, and fun team activities, supporting learning and networking exchange beyond the usual work duties
- Share and navigate the excitement of a new workplace with your CFF (Contentful First Friend)
- Commuter benefits and monthly bill stipend
- Plus, Contentful socks! And other amazing swag as part of company events. Oh yeah!
Colorado Salary Statement: The salary range displayed is specifically for those potential hires who will work or reside in the state of Colorado if selected for the role. Any offered salary is determined based on internal equity, internal salary ranges, market data/ranges, applicant's skills and prior relevant experience, certain degrees and certifications (e.g. JD/technology), for example.
Colorado Salary Range: $181,000 - $191,000
[This position is eligible for equity awards, annual bonuses, short- and long-term incentives, and program-specific awards in accordance with the terms of Contentful’s variable compensation plans.]
Who are we?
Contentful is the leading content platform that powers digital experiences for over 30% of the Fortune 500 companies and thousands of global brands. Our platform unifies content in a single hub, structures it for use in any digital channel and integrates seamlessly with hundreds of tools through open APIs. It lets developers and content creators work in parallel, increasing team efficiency and happiness. Companies such as Shopify, Staples, Atlassian, Electronic Arts, Chanel, Roche, Vodafone use Contentful to build their mobile and web products, voice-controlled apps and more.
We’re growing rapidly and we have secured over $330 million in funding from top-tier partners such as Tiger Global, Sapphire Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, General Catalyst and Benchmark.
More than 750 people from 70 nations contribute their energy and creativity to Contentful, working from hubs in Berlin, San Francisco, Denver and distributed around the world.
Everyone is welcome here!
“Everyone is welcome here” is a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical [dis]ability, or length of time spent unemployed. We invite you to apply and join us!
If you need reasonable accommodations at any point during the application or interview process, please let your recruiting coordinator know.
Please be aware of scammers who may fraudulently allege to be from Contentful. These types of fraud can be carried out through copycat websites, fake email addresses claiming to be from our company, or social media. We do not ask for your personal information such as bank account numbers, identification numbers, etc through social media or chat-based apps, nor do we request or send money for the purchase of business equipment. If you suspect fraud, please report it to your local authorities, as well as reaching out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any information you may have.
By clicking “Apply for this job,” I acknowledge that I have read the “Contentful’s Candidate Privacy Notice”, and hereby consent to the collection, processing, use, and storage of my personal information as described therein.