About the opportunity
In today’s digital-first world, content is the customer experience. As an individual or business, people interact through content, differentiate using content, and achieve their goals with content. Content is what powers every single experience throughout our day.
The User Experience team empowers builders to compose awesome content experiences through platform collaboration using a diverse range of products tailored to their needs.
Contentful is a customer-centric platform company that’s passionate and opinionated about content management and delivery within digital teams and leveraging the value of content throughout the digital organization. To help us nurture our Design practice and bring even more creative, strategic, and organizational talent into the team, we’re seeking an experienced Senior Design Manager.
In this position, you will report directly to the Director of Product Design, and will be responsible for managing a strong and growing team of passionate product designers. You can work from our Berlin office, or remotely from Germany, Netherlands, UK, and Ireland.
What to expect?
- Oversee the strategy and leadership of two product lines
- Partner with Product Management, Research and Engineering to build the right strategies to deliver customer value
- Bring a structured customer-centric design approach and proven ideation and iteration process to Contentful that is based on best practice as well as experience
- Establish a thoughtful, customer centric design practice that proceeds using iteration and input from customers
- Strategically grow a team, and hiring the appropriate talents
- Make recommendations about how to best leverage design knowledge and expertise within the teams and more broadly
- Be responsible for multiple work streams and strategically leverage resources to achieve goals
- Communicate openly and frequently to teammates and managers about risks and opportunities within the team and product
- Contribute to overarching design excellence / maturity of the org
- Mentor, guide, nurture our team of talented, passionate designers and expand their toolbox
What you need to be successful?
- Experience managing and scaling a design team
- Experience working with other design managers
- Experience nurturing, and growing designers
- Demonstrable results of a design practice you’ve helped to nurture in terms of product impact
- Experience working concurrently with the Product department
- Deep understanding of customer-centric design practices and disciplines
- Demonstrated ability to meet goals, deadlines and key milestones
- Experience in design strategy
What's in it for you?
- Join an ambitious tech company reshaping the way people build digital experiences
- Full-time employees receive Stock Options for the opportunity to share ownership and the success of our company
- We value Work-Life balance and You Time! A generous amount of paid time off, including vacation days, education days, and volunteer days
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for information, support, discussion, and counseling for life’s challenges
- Use your personal education budget to improve your skills and grow in your career. Join a free German class or one of our many internal learning initiatives!
- Use your physical fitness budget to get away from your desk and support your physical wellness
- Enjoy a full range of virtual events, including workshops, guest speakers, and fun team activities, supporting learning and networking exchange beyond the usual work duties
- A monthly phone/internet stipend and phone upgrade reimbursement after 2 years
- Plus, Contentful socks! And other amazing swag as part of company events. Oh yeah!
Who are we?
Contentful is the leading content platform that powers digital experiences for over 30% of the Fortune 500 companies and thousands of global brands. Our platform unifies content in a single hub, structures it for use in any digital channel and integrates seamlessly with hundreds of tools through open APIs. It lets developers and content creators work in parallel, increasing team efficiency and happiness. Companies such as Shopify, Staples, Atlassian, Electronic Arts, Chanel, Roche, Vodafone use Contentful to build their mobile and web products, voice-controlled apps and more.
We’re growing rapidly and we have secured over $330 million in funding from top-tier partners such as Tiger Global, Sapphire Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, General Catalyst and Benchmark.
More than 750 people from 70 nations contribute their energy and creativity to Contentful, working from hubs in Berlin, San Francisco, Denver and distributed around the world.
Everyone is welcome here!
“Everyone is welcome here” is a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical [dis]ability, or length of time spent unemployed. We invite you to apply and join us!
If you need reasonable accommodations at any point during the application or interview process, please let your recruiting coordinator know.
Please be aware of scammers who may fraudulently allege to be from Contentful. These types of fraud can be carried out through copycat websites, fake email addresses claiming to be from our company, or social media. We do not ask for your personal information such as bank account numbers, identification numbers, etc through social media or chat-based apps, nor do we request or send money for the purchase of business equipment. If you suspect fraud, please report it to your local authorities, as well as reaching out to us at email@example.com with any information you may have.
By clicking “Apply for this job,” I acknowledge that I have read the “Contentful’s Candidate Privacy Notice”, and hereby consent to the collection, processing, use, and storage of my personal information as described therein.