TELUS knows that no one loves calling the corporate customer service phone line, so they set out to improve their digital customer care. TELUS wanted to enable their customers to solve their own problems online — at any time, from any device. However, this proved to be an impossible task, given their existing processes and home-grown, legacy CMS. Customers did not have a way of solving their issues online, causing a surge in calls to the customer support center.
It was time for a change
Content was at the core of overcoming this complex challenge, so new content production ramped up in an attempt to solve the increase in customer support calls. However, this spike in content creation from multiple departments also lead to more challenges:
- Misleading names for categories and subcategories
- A lack of consistency in tone, structure and titling across support articles
- Support articles that contradicted each other
- Semantically different issues being addressed in the same article
- Users were oversaturated with too much content
TELUS needed to create a seamless user experience for support visitors. To make that happen, TELUS invested in Contentful’s content infrastructure — a scalable, lightning fast, customer focused solution.
The core components of implementing content infrastructure consisted of a product design refresh, a new content strategy and a streamlined content migration.
- Product design refresh — An entirely new user experience makes it seamless for users to easily discover support content across multiple touchpoints, including pages outside of TELUS Support. The new design included a new way of guiding users through the support experience, updated categorization, and an article design that made it easier to consume content.
- Content strategy — A detailed content governance strategy now guides content owners and producers on how to categorize, present and update content within the new TELUS Support experience. This governance strategy also included instructions on how to optimize content for organic search, to discoverability.
Content infrastructure creates happy customers
Investing in content infrastructure helped TELUS reach major milestones, including:
- Operational efficiency through content management, curation, and technical maintenance
- Alignment with latest technology stack, creating fewer redundant systems
- Compliance with the current and evolving brand, accessibility and security standards
- Infrastructure that supports new device and application types
- Future-proofed architecture that’s ready to adapt and grow
TELUS significantly reduced overall customer support costs and achieved a 100% increase in visits from the contact us page to the TELUS Support experience. These results are incredible — but the real winners are TELUS’ customers, who are now empowered to answer their own questions on their terms, through any device, at any time.