Contentful Community Code of Conduct
Contentful is dedicated to providing a safe, inclusive, welcoming, and harassment-free space and experience for all community participants to learn together.
We are a diverse community. Everyone is welcome here, regardless of gender identity and expression, sexuality, disability, physical appearance, socioeconomic status, educational background and level of experience, preferred programming language(s), ethnicity, nationality, age, and religious affiliation.
Whether you are contributing to Contentful’s open-source repositories, attending a Contentful event online or offline, taking part in discussions in our community spaces such as the Contentful Community Slack, or communicating one-on-one with other community members, you agree to abide by the following rules.
As a member of the Contentful community, you agree to:
Approach interactions with thoughtfulness and care
Use welcoming and inclusive language. For example, use non-gender-specific nouns for addressing groups of people (such as “folks”, “people” or “friends”). Always ask if you are unsure how someone would like to be addressed (such as their preferred name or pronouns). Be mindful that you may be communicating with others whose first language is not English.
Prefer collaboration over conflict
In the Contentful community, we strive together to solve problems and celebrate successes. We also understand that working with technology can be challenging, and can cause a lot of frustration! In these situations, remember that everyone in the Contentful community is a real person, and deserves to be treated with respect at all times.
Be mindful that much of the community interaction and discussion happens asynchronously due to the nature of our global community, and that we will work together to solve problems and correct mistakes as soon as we can.
No one is expected to know everything and not make mistakes. Sometimes, even the most well-meaning intentions may result in unwanted outcomes — but how we respond to criticism is important. If someone criticizes our conduct or points out ways we have caused harm to someone, we listen without taking it personally and work towards a resolution — together.
Represent the community in a positive, professional way
As a member of the Contentful community, you are also a representative of the community. To this end, you agree to support the Code of Conduct in full, and alert community moderators of any behavior you witness that falls short of the conduct we expect.
We will not tolerate the following
- Violent threats or language
- Discriminatory or derogatory jokes and language relating to gender identity and expression, sexuality, disability, physical appearance, socioeconomic status, educational background and level of experience, ethnicity, nationality, age, lifestyle choices, and religious affiliation
- Disrespecting people's stated pronouns and gender identity, or current name
- Posting sexually explicit or violent material
- Posting, or threatening to post, of any aspect of a person’s identity or communication history without their consent
- Insults, especially those using discriminatory terms or slurs
- Behavior that could be perceived — in any way — as sexual attention
- Excessive and/or sustained, uninvited disruption, communication or harassment — either in public channels/social platforms or private conversations
- Advocating for or encouraging any of the above behaviors
Some Contentful Community spaces may have additional rules in place, which are posted publicly for participants. Participants are responsible for knowing and abiding by these rules. We invite all those who participate in the Contentful Community to help us create safe, welcoming and positive community experiences.
Resolving Code of Conduct Violations
If someone has said or done something that violates this Code of Conduct or makes you feel comfortable or unsafe in any way, here’s what should happen next:
In the moment
Are you safe? If not, get to a safe place. If the incident happened online, take yourself away from the platform. Can you talk to someone you trust about what happened?
As soon as possible
Evaluate the situation — is it safe to talk to the person directly about this incident? If you feel safe, try and speak with the person privately and try to work on a resolution together. If it goes well, great! If it does not go well or you do not feel safe collaborating on a resolution, please speak to a moderator as soon as you can.
After the incident
Our community moderators take reports of Code of Conduct violations seriously. When reporting the violation, please provide as many details as possible, such as:
- Any contact or identifying information about the person who allegedly violated the Code of conduct
- The time, place, and details of the alleged violation
- Whether the situation is ongoing
- Whether there were additional witnesses or other people involved
- Whether or not you would prefer to have your complaint be kept anonymous in the situation
Moderators will work with you to evaluate what happened, inform the person(s) in question that a violation was reported, and establish the next steps in resolving the issue.
The Contentful Community moderators may reject any report believed to have been made in bad faith. Reports intended to silence legitimate criticism may be deleted without response.
Our Contentful Community Moderators
You may contact any of our community moderators to report a Code of Conduct violation.
|Brittany Walker (She/Her)
|Katie Hines (She/Her)
|Harshil Agrawal (He/Him)
|Alvin Bryan (He/Him)
Our community moderators agree to:
- Respond to violations in teams of two or more
- Respond as promptly as possible to reports of violations
- Make an effort to understand both sides of the situation, including talking to affected participants and reading up on the underlying issues, particularly if they don’t have similar personal experience(s)
- Excuse themselves or be excused from handling an incident if they are listed as a possible Code of Conduct violator
- Participants asked to stop any inappropriate behavior are expected to do so immediately, even if participants do not agree with or fully acknowledge the behavior being reported.
- Participants violating our Code of Conduct may be penalized or expelled at the discretion of community moderators.
- If a community moderator is not available at a particular event, the event organizer will ask violators to leave, and then report the situation to community moderators for further deliberation.
- There will always be at least one moderator “on-call”. If no moderators are able to attend an event, Community moderators and/or event organizers may take action to redress anything designed to, or with the clear impact of, disrupting or making an environment hostile for any participants.
Please bear in mind the following additional guidelines:
- Do not delete posts or comments you’ve made unless you sincerely made the post in error (like accidentally posting in the wrong group, for example) and deleting will not interfere with group discussion.
- This Code of Conduct applies to all Contentful Community spaces and events, but if you are being or have been harassed by a Contentful Community participant externally, you may still report to the Contentful Community moderators. We will take all good-faith reports of harassment by community participants seriously. Our moderators reserve the right to exclude people from the Contentful Community and/or Contentful events based on past and/or external behavior towards community participants or non-participants.
- We will not name harassment victims without their consent. At our discretion, we may publicly name a person about whom we’ve received harassment complaints, or privately warn third parties about them, if we believe that doing so will increase the safety of the Contentful Community or the general public.
Code of Conduct Feedback
Feedback is always appreciated! If you have any feedback or suggestions on how to improve the Contentful Community Code of Conduct, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Contentful Community Code of Conduct is a living document. It will grow with the Contentful Community to ensure we are providing a safe, inclusive, welcoming, and harassment-free space and experience for all community participants.