Contentful apps extend and expand the capabilities of the Contentful web app and the editors who use it. Apps empower you to integrate third-party services, build extraordinary workflows and customize the functionality of the Contentful web app.
Currently available apps
What can apps do?
Contentful apps are packages that simplify customization or integration by modifying your space. An app can help to adapt Contentful to individual business processes or to integrate with other best of breed services.
Every app has access to the SDK, which makes it possible to read and write most of the data in a Contentful space.
Some of the possibilities are:
- Manage content variations to run experiments on structured content using experimentation tools like Optimizely
- Trigger builds or pipelines in third party CI systems
- Integrate with translations services to automate localization needs
- Integrate assets from digital asset management (DAM) services
Installing and managing apps
Installing apps is the easiest way to augment your workflows and give more power to your editors. Space admins and owners can install and configure apps.
Each app requires authorization before installation. Apps can act on behalf of the user, and we want to make sure that this is understood before giving control to an app. After authorization, apps usually require configuration before they can be installed. We will walk you through this process. Once an app is installed, it will appear in your list of your installed apps.
Some things to note about app installation:
- Apps can only be installed, configured and uninstalled by admins.
- Apps are only installed in the current environment. This allows you to test apps in a dedicated sandbox.
- Installed apps and their configuration will be copied when creating new environments.
- Apps can create content types and entries.
Uninstalling apps will remove modifications and functionality the app provided originally to the UI. Artifacts that we cannot determine the importance of — such as new content types, entries or third party entities — will be kept and need to be removed manually. Each app will inform you which artifacts are removed in the process of uninstallation and which are not.