This article explains how to customize the appearance of the sidebar next to an entry in the web app and Contentful apps.
The sidebar defines the main editing context when working with content. The sidebar has a default appearance and it can be replaced with a custom list of built-in widgets or apps. The sidebar is:
- configured on a content type level and stored in its
- a curated list of built-in widgets and apps
- each widget and app can only be used once per sidebar
- supports setting configuration parameters for apps
The default sidebar is the initial state for all content types. It consists of six built-in widgets:
- Publish & Status: Shows and changes the status of an entry
- Preview: Connects content to a custom preview application
- Links: Lists all incoming links to the current entry
- Translation: Toggles which locales to show
- Versions: Access to the snapshots of an entry
Built-in widgets are currently not supported in Compose. Only apps are visible in the sidebar.
Creating a custom sidebar
To override the default sidebar of a content type, head over to
the content model, select a content type and click
Sidebar as seen in the screenshot below:
Every content type starts with the default sidebar. You are free to reorder and remove the widgets. For demo purposes,
let's move the
Versions widget to the top of the list and remove all widgets except
Publish & Status. The sidebar
editor should then look like this:
After saving the content type, navigate to the entry editor opening an entry of the content type you just changed. It should now look like this:
Note that the top widget is the
Versions widget followed by the
Publish & Status widget.
Using Apps in a custom sidebar
The sidebar editor lists all Apps on the left column. Once an App has been assigned to a sidebar,
Change instance parameters can be used to set instance parameters.