Entry comments is an offering that provides users with an ability to communicate (at entry level) with other users of Contentful. Traditionally, users had to use an external tool to have a conversation, which added overhead in the following aspects:
- Adding new users to an existing conversation thread.
- Referring to a specific entry, which required the entry name or its link to be included in the conversation.
Apart from using Entry comments as a mode of internal communication, they can also be used in the approval workflow of content to provide review comments. Authors can create content (entries) and ask for editors or reviewers to provide review comments. Additionally, users can extend this functionality to create a bot or automated client that can create, edit, or delete comments within an entry. For example, Grammarly.
Entry comments work on the underlying service of the 'Comments API' that allows users to create and manage comments at an entry level. It is possible to create and manage the comments on the Web App or with an API call.
This feature is currently in alpha and is under active development. It may undergo some major changes, hence not recommended to use for production.
Share your thoughts, ideas, and feedback using the feedback button, or connect with us on our #alpha-content-workflows Slack community channel.
Managing Entry comments on the Web App
- Navigate to the desired entry from the Content tab.
Click the Comments button on the top right corner.
On the comments panel (on the right), you can add a new comment or reply to an existing one.
- At present, it is not possible to edit an existing comment from the WebApp.
- It is not possible to delete a parent comment in a thread without deleting all the corresponding child comments first.
- The maximum comments on an entry is 1000.